Cooking with ReStraws – recipe ReStraws Bolognese
Yes, we said it: Cooking with ReStraws.
Perhaps you already know, our ReStraws are edible. And when we say edible, we mean edible!
Additionally, our ReStraws are gluten-free and vegan. If you ever have ReStraws that are close to their “best before” date, you can easily serve them for dinner! Do make sure you use unused ReStraws, for hygiene purposes. And for your convenience, we put the nutrition facts of the ReStraws on the packaging.
WE DO RECOMMEND ONLY EATING RESTRAWS WHEN COOKED
Here is a recipe for an easy-to-make dinner with: ReStraws
ReStraws Bolognese with meatballs – Gluten free and optional vegan or vegetarian
For this recipe, the vegetables can be adjusted to your preference.
Additionally, to make it vegan or vegetarian, you can exchange the beef for vegetables. For example, double the amount of vegetables. If you want to make it vegan, don’t forget to also change the Parmesan cheese for a vegan cheese, or no cheese at all.
The amount of ReStraws that you use is similar to pasta. On average, count 100gr per person, 80gr for a child and 120 gr for someone with a big appetite.
Meal for: 4 people
Prep time: 10 min
Total time: 40-45 min
- 400 gr ReStraws
- 1 red pepper
- 1 courgette
- 1 onion
- 250 gr mushroom
- 1 jar of ready-made Bolognese sauce
- 500 gr ground beef
- 1 egg
- 100gr grated Parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- optional: additional spices for meatballs
- Take a large pot. Fill it with water and boil the water. Add some salt. When the water boils, add the ReStraws and cook for 6-8 minutes. Drain the water after the time and add a teaspoon of olive oil so the ReStraws will be less sticky. Put the lid on and give it a good shake to make sure the olive oil is well mixed amongst the cooked ReStraws. Make sure you hold the lid!
- Chop all the vegetables to sizes of your preference
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef with egg, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, you can add other spices for meatballs to your preference. Mix until all the spices are evenly mixed. Then combine them to form into 12-16 balls.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer meatballs to a plate.
- In the same frying pan, fry the onion until soft, 5 minutes. Add the other vegetables and fry for another couple minutes. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Return meatballs to pan and cover. Add the jar of ready Bolognese sauce, simmer until the sauce has heated up.
- Serve pasta with a healthy scoop of meatballs and sauce. To finish the dish, top with Parmesan before serving.